It’s O-dark early and the only thing worse than climbing out of bed is getting fired (and that’s debatable). Ever have one of those first morning thoughts and if yes, do you have them often? Well, do I have good news for you! This is how you can change that:
- Upon opening your eyes or beating down the alarm clock, take a few moments to lay there (yes, even if you’re running late because this few minutes may save your day). While you’re lying there, close your eyes and begin to choose new thoughts. Yes, choose them – do not allow them to choose you. Visualize the type of day you want to have and then immerse your mind and emotions into that visual. Feel your mood shift, even if just enough to put you in a better frame of mind.
- Do twenty jumping jacks when your feet hit the floor. You will quickly find yourself out of “sluggish” mode and ready to go! This really works and if you do them in front of a mirror, it’s pretty amusing.
- Eat light. Yes, I know that most fitness experts will tell you to eat a big breakfast and then tone it down throughout the day and if that works for you, by all means keep doing it. It doesn’t work for me. If I eat a big breakfast, I’m ready for a nap and I’ve only been awake for an hour. I’m not suggesting that you only eat a piece of fruit, heavens no. However bacon, eggs and home fries are comparable to a self-induced coma. Big no-no.
- Lose the sugar. Sugar will take you to a mountain top! And then drop you. Not only is it bad for your body in general, but it’s a real mood swinger. The less the better and yes substitute sweeteners count.
- If you exercise daily, do it first thing in the morning. You will be in a high energy state all day, your body will run more efficiently and if you’re on a weight loss journey your fat burning furnace will be on high. Additionally, your mood will be balanced thanks to that nice endorphin family.
- Drink a large glass of cold water. Cold water is more effective than caffeine. It’s true. Have you ever taken a cold shower or jumped into a cold body of water? Drinking cold water has the same effect on the inside of your body as emerging in it has on the outside of your body. Immediate power surge. “Hell-o!”
Use one of the tips above and you will have a better day. Use two or more and you will jump start your day. Do them often and you will jump start your entire life!
It really is as simple as it sounds. We aren’t victims of circumstance, we’re creators. Create your mood; create your day. It’s always a matter of choice so choose to have an extraordinary day!